Youth Services Manager Reference: YSM01042023
The Germantown Public Library is now looking for a motivated team player to fill the position of Youth Services Manager. Be a part of an organization dedicated to delivering excellent service to our patrons through our physical and electronic materials, programming, and outreach to the families and younger patrons we serve. This role is responsible for providing direct librarian service to people of all ages, especially children from birth through late teens, and will provide professional and/or managerial level service in administering assigned library functions within the Youth Services and Administrative Departments of our library. Germantown Public Library is a School District Special Library funded primarily by the Public Library Fund distributed to Montgomery County. The library serves a primary population of approximately 11,000 residents in Germantown and Farmersville, Ohio that fall within the Valley View School District located in the Southwest section of Montgomery County. Total Circulation for 2022 is estimated to be around 100,000. The Library includes one building of 10,500 square feet. Experience with working as part of a Youth Services team, helping administer programming such as summer/winter reading programs, knowledge of literacy scales (AR, Lexile, F&P) and providing readers advisory to patrons is preferred.
Implementation of accountability metrics and goals into Youth Services functions.
Managing or functioning as Team Leader for Youth Services Library Assistants
Planning and executing reading and other programs throughout the year.
Planning and executing literacy and other early childhood learning initiatives.
Planning and executing improvements concerning the physical library space, physical and electronic collections, and other assets.
Working alongside the local school district on literacy and other projects
Answers library users reference and reading advisory questions, in person and on the telephone, using materials in a variety of formats.
Functions as leadership position / shift leader during evening and weekend hours (required)
Maintains a working knowledge of the materials collections, services available, and trends in the library profession to people of all ages, association standards (ASLC, ALA), particularly children and teens. Job Requirements:
Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
Prior experience in public library Youth Service’s Department. Supervisory experience preferred.
• Knowledge and appreciation of children’s literature, periodicals, audio-visual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media, and materials. Knowledge of available children’s materials and readers’ interests.
• Knowledge of principles of supervision and management to support assigned team members or direct reports.
• Ability to plan and implement programs and services to support early childhood learning initiatives.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret reference resources, general business periodicals, professional journals, policy and procedure manuals and governmental regulations.
• Ability to write reports, book reviews, readers’ advisory materials and business correspondence.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from children, parents, teachers, patrons, managers, coworkers and members of the community. Ability to apply active listening skills.
• Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
Grade/Pay Range: Exempt 40-hour week – Some nights and weekends required OPERS retirement, 10 paid holidays, generous sick and vacation time accruals. Germantown Public Library may hire at Grade 5 (Coordinator) or Grade 6 (Manager) depending on qualifications, education, and experience. Differences in the grade will depend on supervisory responsibilities.
Hiring range is $39,156 - $47,033 depending on qualifications
Submitting Application: If you are interested, please send in a resume and cover letter to the library via email or physical mail. Candidates may also apply in person during business hours. Candidates identified for interview will be asked to fill out a formal library employment application. Email to email@example.com. RE: Youth Services Manager Position
Physical address: Germantown Public Library, 51 N. Plum St., Germantown, OH 45327 937-855-4001 Germantown Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
Note: This job posting describes the nature and level of assignments normally given in this position. This is not an exhaustive list of duties; this is not a formal job description; additional related duties may be assigned.